Σελίδες

Thursday 18 July 2019

Latte Dock, first beta for v0.9 (v0.8.97)

https://phabricator.kde.org/source/latte-dock/


Welcome Latte Dock v0.8.97  the FIRST BETA release for v0.9 branch!


Go get  v0.8.97   from, download.kde.org*
-----
* archive has been signed with gpg key: 325E 97C3 2E60 1F5D 4EAD CF3A 5599 9050 A2D9 110E


I know you waited for this so long but believe me there were really good reasons. Check out the past articles concerning Latte git version and you can get a picture what major new features are introduced for v0.9. Of course this is an article for a beta release and as such I will not provide any fancy videos or screenshots; this is a goal for official stable release article.


New Features


Wayland

I know that community is urgent to move on but from my personal experience in wayland I consider the wayland support still a Technology Preview. The Latte experience of course in v0.9 is much better than v0.8 but do not expect miracles. The graphics drivers, Qt and Plasma libraries are still adjusting and try to mature more in wayland environments.

Latte can not workaround such issues and does not have such focus. Trying to solve things in wayland is really a pain for me and I am trying to avoid it until it is really necessary. I am using a Dell Optimus laptop for development so my hardware might be the worst for the case; crashes, freezes etc. so I do not feel the stability I would expect.

So patience everyone, patience...



Requirements

Even though in the start of v0.9 development circle I was thinking to increase the requirements compared to v0.8; in the end a way was found to keep the same requirements as minimum and focus on proposed one for best experience. I have the confidence that any system/distro supporting v0.8  can update to v0.9 easily.

Minimum requirements:
  • Qt >= 5.9
  • Plasma >=5.12
Proposed requirements:
  • Qt >= 5.12
  • Plasma >=5.15



Latte Development team

Because the community might have not been updated properly, Latte Development team is currently just me and this is the situation for the past one and a half year. At that point I would like to thank all developers sending patches and especially /u/trmdi for his involvement. Latte of course is an official kde project and that means that whenever I disappear or step down the kde community will be able to guide development.

 
Latte v0.9 Release Schedule

  • End July 2019: v0.9 will be released officially as the new Latte stable version and the community has ten days until then for bugs, translation string fixes  and improvements



How Can I Help?

Bugs, bugs, bugs.... Translations, translation, translations...
  1. As you may noticed plenty new settings are added in v0.9 and bugs can exist when combining them
  2. Even though the kde localization teams are checking out the translation strings almost daily and I THANK THEM for this!! We are humans and translation strings may be possible to improve
  3. For complicated settings I use tooltips in order to describe them better. If you find such option that does not have any tooltip OR its tooltip text can be explained more or be simplified feel free to report it (I am not a native english speaker)



Donations

You can find Latte at Liberapay if you want to support,     Donate using Liberapay


or you can split your donation between my active projects in kde store.